In the streets of Sarojini market, delhi, there is a stand that sell this amazingly made chicken momos that makes your mouth water like a dog. He might not be approved by hygienist but some street food taste so nice that you tend to ignore the warnings people tell you about buying food in the streets of India. Ever since I went to India I have been in love with the curries, biryanis, sweets(gulab jamun) and others (momos and parathas). Yes I have to admit I was skeptical at first but upon the first bite, I lost my focus, I just wanted to eat more indian food, till this day. I searched and searched online after I left India, until I found the best momos recipe. I tried and succeeded!!…
I went through almost all the momos before I remember to take a picture. 😃😄😜.
Prep time: 40min
Cook time: 60min
Serving size: 14 momos
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoon water for kneading
For vegetable filling:
- Cabbage – 1 cup, packed, finely chopped
- Carrot – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- Onion – 1, medium size, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 1-2, finely minced
- Garlic – 2 clove, finely minced
- Ginger – 1/2″, finely minced
- Soy sauce – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Take flour, oil and salt in a bowl and mix it.
- Add water in small amount and knead to a firm dough. cover the dough and keep aside for 30 min.
- Heat oil on medium heat.add the garlic and saute for 10 secs. Add the onions and saute for 30secs.
- Add all the finely chopped vegetables and saute on medium to low heat for 3-4 minutes
- Add the soy sauce, salt and pepper and stir for 2 min.
- Switch of the flame and add 1-2tsp of spring onion and stir.
- Take the dough and divide it into two equal parts. Shape each part into a 7inch long rod. Cut the rod into equal slice.
- Mold the slices into a ball and keep them apart in a container.keep then covered.
- Dust the board lighty or a clean countertop and roll until it is 2-3inch in diameter.
- The edges should be thin and the center thick.
- Add about 1-2tbsp of of fillings. Pick one side of the edge and start pleating. Form pleats one by one and join them towards the end. Check below for a link.
- Keep the momos covered until you are ready to steam them.
- Fill 1/4 a pot with water and bring it to a boil.grease a colander with oil and put it in the pot. ***
- Gently place your momos inside and let them steam for 6minute until they are not sticky and are transparent. Cooking time depends on the thickness of your momos, the intensity of the flame and the the steamer you use.
- Garnish momos with Spring onions and serve momos with a spicy chilli chutney /hot sauce.
Do you like this recipe? Drop your feedback on the comment section below.
**if center is thin and edges are thick, your momos are going to stick to the steamer and will break while removing.
**click this for a video on how to roll, stuff and pleat momos.
**If you have a steamer you can use it.
** This recipe was adopted from silusfood and vegrecipesofindia.